Scranton Iron Furnace
159 Cedar Avenue, Scranton, PA 18505
Located near the Steamtown National Historic Site, the Scranton Iron Furnaces represent the early iron industry in the United States. The four massive stone blast furnaces are the remnants of a once extensive plant operated by the Lackawanna Iron & Steel Company. Started in 1840 as Scranton, Grant & Company, the firm had the largest iron production capacity in the United States by 1865. By 1880, it poured 125,000 tons of pig iron, which was converted in its rolling mill and foundry into T-rails and other end products.